Electronic Health Record Implementation
Improving quality, safety and efficiency through EHRs
"Electronic health record conversion seemed like an overwhelming project to clinic administration. Working with TMF representatives reminded us the best way to accomplish an overwhelming project is in small, orderly and deliberate steps. From the self-evaluation and readiness surveys, TMF took our hand and showed us the way . . . They have provided a logical, manageable process that administration believes will help us find and implement the best product for our clinic."
Navasota Medical Center
More than 700 physician practices have effectively prepared for electronic health record implementation and successful use of the system with assistance from TMF Health Quality Institute. We work with physician offices to provide support before, during and after implementation.
TMF staff members have specialized training and knowledge in EHR implementation and office workflow redesign with the added benefit of many years of clinical experience in various settings.
The David Sandy Story: A look at the future of medical information management and use.
Register Now for the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services encourages providers to register for the Medicare and/or Medicaid Electronic Health Records (EHR) Incentive Program(s) as soon as possible. You can register before you have a certified EHR.
- Project practice assessment – TMF conducts an in-depth workflow analysis of how the practice operates to assist with EHR functionality choices.
- EHR preparation – We lay the groundwork for a successful implementation by resolving potential pitfalls identified in the assessment and introducing vendors that match the practice’s workflow needs.
- Office redesign considerations – We provide the practice with feedback on the best-fit approach to having an EHR installed in the office and valuable information on what to consider when choosing a system.
- Technology education – TMF clarifies software and hardware options, system integration capabilities, system backups and support and maintenance to facilitate successful practice-vendor communication.
- Installation process – We advise on what to expect during system installation and configuration, what to consider when setting up training, how to effectively prepare for go-live and how to test the system.
- Reporting and feedback – TMF provides practices with assistance using the EHR to identify areas for improvement to meet any existing or future quality reporting requirements, including pay-for-performance.
- Care management – We advise on establishing the EHR as part of a health care system that focuses on best practices and proactive care to achieve optimum patient outcomes.
- Collaboration – We discuss opportunities to connect the practice with other users to facilitate group discussion and share resources.
“TMF has helped us to assess and evaluate our workflow issues. This has played a big part in which electronic medical record system we are choosing. We really wanted a system that was going to help improve some of these issues. TMF representatives helped reassure us we were on the right path in evaluating and selecting an EMR system. They gave us suggestions and ideas about how to evaluate each system.”
— Lorie Cram, MD,
East Houston Medical Group
TMF assists physicians and their office staff with EHR selection, adoption and implementation under contract with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and as a partner to Texas’ Regional Extension Centers, working under contract with the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology.
Prevention/Care Management (Medicare)
TMF helps physician practices use their certified EHRs to improve the quality and frequency of preventive health care services. In our role as the Medicare Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) for Texas, we are working with physician practices and the Texas Regional Extension Centers to promote population health and integrate EHR features to improve care coordination.
In previous projects, TMF recruited 300 practices (1,000 physicians) to receive support related to the adoption, selection and implementation of an EHR and 154 practices (437 physicians) to implement care management processes using their EHRs. We encouraged 65 practices to begin collecting race data in their EHRs to help identify health disparities within the practice. TMF collected quarterly data from 94 practices on colorectal cancer screening, breast cancer screening, pneumococcal pneumonia vaccination and influenza vaccination. Participating providers improved significantly compared to non-participating providers.
Regional Extension Centers
TMF serves as a subcontractor to Texas’ Regional Extension Centers. These centers help physicians and other health care providers achieve meaningful use of their EHRs and earn federal stimulus reimbursement. This is accomplished through outreach, education and technical assistance programs.
Through our work with the Regional Extension Centers, TMF consultants are offering technical assistance, guidance and information on best practices to approximately 700 physicians in Texas.
HIT Summits and Curriculum
In partnership with Texas Health Institute, TMF co-hosted health information technology summits to provide practitioners with information about health information exchanges, e-prescribing, stimulus funding for early adoption of EHRs, workflow design and project management. In addition, we partnered with the University of Texas to develop HIT curriculum for workforce development.
TMF’s Texas Health IT Summits routinely attracted more than 200 attendees, including health care professionals and government agency representatives.
View more information about TMF’s EHR and Care Management services.